Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Memory Reliability
I personally learn best by doing, by actions, I guess I could call it muscle memory. For example dance class, if I was just told a new step it would take a lot longer to do than to see it done and do it myself. Another example would be chemistry, reading I wouldn't remember much, but doing an experiment to prove something would make me remember. I hate classes that deal only with reading, like AP Government. The one times we played a game helped me remember, maybe not as well as I want to, but I had something to remember. I personally think I have ADD and the reason I can't remember by text is because I can't focus well and my mind wanders if my hands aren't busy. I personally think memories can be sketchy and can't always be trusted. There have been many times my mom has yelled at me for not doing a chores when in reality she had asked my little brother to do it and he didn't want to, but of course she forgot who she asked and even when my dad told her she had asked my little brother she still didn't agree. The characters in the book may have some reliability in the memories, but I would bet that there are exagerations or changes so that the memory makes them either look better or makes them look even more like a target. I would bet Benji remembers the best. Just because he is mentally ill, I don't believe it made him bad at remembering. I think his memory improves, kind of like when a person goes deaf, the rest of the senses improve to compesate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like learning best by doing or seeing it down, reading it or someone telling me it is more difficult. I agree or memory can be pretty sketchy.
ReplyDeleteI agree that Benjy was probably the only character that wasn't biased. For me its a little bit of both and it depends on the subject when it comes to memory. Sometimes I feel like I have a tiny bit of a photographic memory because I look at maybe one page in my head, and remember the most important terms including what order they are in.
ReplyDeleteMuscle memory really helps me out too. When I was younger I would study spelling words by spelling them out with sign language. Memories are most definitely sketchy but I would agree that Benjy's would be the clearest. He doesn't have any reason to alter them to fit his needs or purposes.
ReplyDeleteI am the same way. I can't understand anything if you just say it to me, but if you show me I can pick it up in a heart beat.
ReplyDeleteI agree i learn better actually doing something than actually listening to someone talk about it. memories are a bit sketchy, because i think your mind tells you one thing to make it seem better than what the truth really is but it is hard to remember every little thing.
ReplyDeleteIts hard to remember something by just being told as apose to learning it visually. That's how it seems to happen with more people than others. For me, I have to be told 100x if I wanna learn it by being told. But if it's visual and I can copy it down, the more I look at it, the quicker I'm going to learn it.
ReplyDeleteMy memory comes and goes most of the time. One moment I can hold a conversation with someone about something I learned online or something and the next, I can't remember where I was in the sentence or what I was even talking about. It's helter skelter.
ReplyDelete